This is the page where we will be posting legislation regarding education and the Common Core, that will be introduced during the 2014 legislative session. During the session, this will be a page to check often.
Here is the calendar of the 2014 legislative session.
Senate Bill 62 Introduced by: Senators Otten (Ernie), Begalka, Brown, Krebs, Novstrup (Al), Rampelberg, Rave, Rhoden, Soholt, Tieszen, and Van Gerpen and Representatives Sly, Cronin, Kaiser, Lust, Mickelson, Otten (Herman), and Westra
FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to establish a comprehensive evaluation of the common core state standards and to make an appropriation therefor.
This bill would create and fund ($100,000) a South Dakota Common Core State Standards Evaluation Council.
The council shall evaluate the following topics regarding the common core state standards:
(1) Comparison of the substance of previous South Dakota math and English language arts content standards to the common core state standards;
(2) Comparison of the Smarter Balanced assessment to the DakotaSTEP assessment; and
(3) Comparison of the fiscal impact of fully implementing the common core state standards to alternative standards.
The Council would consist of:
- Three members of the Senate, including at least one member of each political party, appointed by the president pro tempore of the Senate;
- Three members of the House of Representatives, including a member of each political party, appointed by the speaker of the House;
- The secretary of the Department of Education;
- Four school administrators, appointed by the Governor;
- Three teachers, appointed by the Governor;
- One school board member, appointed by the Governor;
- One member of the Board of Regents, selected by the board;
- One representative of the postsecondary technical institutes, selected by the presidents of the respective institutions;
- One representative selected by the School Administrators of South Dakota
- One representative selected by the South Dakota Education Association;
- One representative selected by the Associated School Boards of South Dakota;
- Three parents of current public elementary or secondary education students, one parent of a current student excused from compulsory attendance for alternative instruction pursuant to § 13-27-3, and one parent of a current private school student, all appointed by the Governor.
You can read full text of SB 62 HERE